We are having the first thunderstorm of the year and it is all dark and gloomy outside, making today the perfect day for cooking some good old comfort food. One of my family’s favorite comfort food meals is Chipotle Mini Meatloaf Muffins served with mashed potatoes and a leafy green salad.
This meatloaf recipe is definitely not boring or lacking in flavor. These chipotle mini meatloaf muffins are infused with the bold, spicy flavors of fresh jalapeno peppers and smoky chipotle powder that transform an ordinary dish into an extraordinary dish.
Cooking meatloaf in individual portions inside of muffin tins reduces the cooking time by at least half an hour over the traditional way of cooking the meat as a whole in a loaf pan. No need to wait for the meatloaf to cool down before slicing and serving. Just pop out the mini meatloafs directly from the pan onto plates. There is no slicing required, no more crumbly messes or fighting over the pieces with the sauce because every mini meatloaf has its own sauce which makes me very happy!
This recipe for chipotle mini meatloaf muffins makes enough to feed a large family or you can freeze the leftovers to have on hand for a quick and delicious meal on nights you are busy. These are the perfect size for serving crowds of people at potlucks or large gatherings.
Chipotle has a smoky, slightly spicy flavor that tastes absolutely delicious paired with meats and sauces. You can buy ground chipotle powder or make your own by grinding dried chipotle pods in a mini blender.
How To Make Chipotle Mini Meatloaf Muffins And Chipotle Glaze
In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chipotle powder, dry mustard powder and worcestershire sauce. Bring the sauce to low boil, stirring constantly. Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Remove the seeds from 2 fresh jalapeno peppers. The juices and seeds are very hot, so take extra precautions when handling and cooking with jalapeno peppers. Finely dice the jalapenos and green onions and set aside. Mince two cloves of garlic and set aside separately from the onions and jalapenos.
I like to soften the onions, jalapenos and garlic before adding to the meat. Drizzle about half a tablespoon of olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat and add the finely chopped green onions and jalapenos. Lightly saute until they are softened and translucent, about three minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for another 20 to 30 seconds, being careful not to allow the garlic to burn.
In a bowl, combine the softened onions, jalapenos and garlic, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, chipotle powder, salt and pepper and 1/2 a cup of the prepared Chipotle Glaze.
Mix the ingredients together using your hands until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease 2 regular sized muffin tins. Divide the ground beef mixture evenly among the pans to make 24 mini meatloaf muffins in total.
Place in the preheated oven and allow to cook for 35 minutes. Pour out the grease if necessary. The leaner the ground beef, the less grease will be created and less shrinkage of the meat will occur.
Divide the remainder of the Chipotle Glaze over the tops of each of the mini meatloaf muffins and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Serve with mashed potatoes, a green salad or a veggie of your choice and a slice of bread to make this a delicious and filling meal to be enjoyed on nights when you are craving good ole comfort food. I like to pipe some of the mashed potatoes on to the tops of the chipotle mini meatloaf muffins before serving to make them look all fancy.
Turn the leftover chipotle mini meatloaf muffins and mashed potatoes into quick and easy individual freezer meals by storing them in an airtight plastic container for up to one month. Just thaw and reheat for a super quick meal.
Print And Save The Recipe For Chipotle Mini Meatloaf Muffins
- 2.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Chipotle Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chipotle powder, dry mustard and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Finely dice the jalapenos and green onions. Removing the seeds from the peppers and discard before chopping.
- Drizzle a splash of olive oil, about half a tablespoon, in a saucepan over medium heat and add the chopped jalapenos and green onions. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the onions and peppers are softened.
- Add chopped garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl along with the ground beef, 1/2 cup chipotle glaze, egg, bread crumbs, chipotle powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the ground beef mixture evenly between 2 regular sized muffin tins lightly greased with the other half of the olive oil, making 24 mini meatloaf muffins in total.
- Place in the preheated oven and allow to cook for 35 minutes. Pour the grease out of the pan if necessary.
- Divide the remainder of the chipotle glaze over the tops of each of the mini meatloaf muffins and place back in the oven. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with a knife and remove from the pan.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or salad.
Did you enjoy this recipe for Chipotle Mini Meatloaf Muffins?