I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and mint together and these insanely delicious no-bake Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares hit the spot perfectly. They are especially satisfying when enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee. These dessert squares boast three scrumptious layers of minty, chocolaty goodness including dark chocolate, unsweetened coconut and crushed graham crackers. Yummy and oh, so very addicting!
They are fairly simple to make, but do involve a few steps and take about half an hour to prepare and clean-up. After the squares have been chilled and cut, you can package the squares in a fancy tin can or wrap them up in cupcake liners for giving as individual gifts.
I use premium dark cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips for an ultra deep and rich chocolate flavor. I find the subtle bitterness of the dark chocolate balances the sweetness of the mint icing. Of course, if you are not a fan of dark chocolate, you can substitute with semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
Print And Save Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares Recipe
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon 100% pure peppermint extract
- Wilton's leaf green icing color
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp margarine
- Lightly grease a 9 X 9 inch pan.
- Combine 1/2 cup margarine, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan and slowly bring to a gentle boil.
- Stir in beaten egg quickly to thicken the mixture and remove from the heat. The egg is important as it holds the bottom layer together and keeps it from crumbling.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs and shredded coconut and press firmly into the greased pan.
- To make the second layer, combine 1/3 cup softened margarine, milk, icing sugar, pure peppermint flavoring and green food coloring together in a bowl and beat well with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Spoon the green frosting mixture into the pan and spread evenly over the first layer using the back of a spoon.
- Place a glass bowl or double broiler over top of a simmering pot of water.
- Add chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons margarine and stir until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the second layer and spread evenly.
- Cover and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- Store Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares in the fridge or freezer.
- Makes 24-36 squares depending on the size you like them.
Cut and serve Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares in shamrock baking cups for a festive display. Stack one or two chocolate mint shamrock squares in a paper cupcake liner and place on a tray. Gently insert St. Patrick’s cupcake picks into the middle of the squares. To package these up to give as individual gifts, place the cupcake liner inside a clear treat bag or plastic drink cup. Slip in a couple of chocolate gold coins in beside the squares and tie the bag closed with a yellow or green ribbon.
These Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares make a wonderful dessert to serve at a church tea, book club meeting or any other casual gathering. They also make tasty treats to make for a bake sale.
Did you like this Chocolate Mint Shamrock Squares recipe? Do you like the flavors of chocolate and mint paired together?