Brrr… it’s cold outside! Pull on your fuzzy socks, pour yourself a steaming hot cup of coffee, spiked with a shot of Kahlua Liqueur and curl up under the blanket with one or two of these super yummy Kahlua Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. Oh, and you might want to wait until the kids are in bed or hide in a closet because these boozy treats are made especially for the grown-ups.
I made the cupcakes from a cake mix, but if you are a Miss Betty Crocker in the kitchen, you can make the cupcakes from scratch using your favorite recipe.
I drizzled one tablespoon of Kahlua Liqueur over each cupcake before frosting. To ice the tops of the cupcakes, I used a basic chocolate buttercream icing recipe, but I used Kahlua in place of the cream. Lots of boozy yumminess!
Add a few mini marshmallows and a decorative paper straw to make them look like little mugs of hot chocolate. These Kahula Hot Chocolate Cupcakes would make delicious treats to serve alongside a hot chocolate bar or during a holiday office party.
Save And Print The Recipe For Kahlua Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3-4 tablespoons Kahlua Liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add one chocolate cake mix, eggs, oil and water to a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer for two minutes on medium, pausing to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Line two cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Spoon the batter into the pans filling them 2/3 full for a total of 24 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Place chocolate chips in a large and microwave on high in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Add the softened butter and beat on high for 30 seconds.
- Add cocoa, 1 cup of icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of Kahlua and beat until mixed.
- Continue adding the rest of the icing sugar and Kahlua in small amounts until the frosting is thick and creamy.
- Place in fridge and allow to cool for 30 minutes or longer before using.
- Fill a decorating bag fitted with a large tip with the chocolate frosting. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes in a circular motion starting from the outside edge and working your way into the middle.
- Sprinkle a few mini marshmallows on the tops.
- Cut a decorative patterned paper straw into thirds. Place one mini straw into each cupcake to make them look like mugs of hot cocoa.
You don’t have to limit yourself to just Kahlua liqueur. Try different flavors. I think Bailey’s Irish Creme, Grand Marnier or Peppermint Schnapps hot chocolate cupcakes would taste amazing! Another treat I like to serve my guests are these boozy coffee popsicles. Yum!
Do you like to indulge in liqueur or alcohol infused desserts? What are some of your favorite boozy treats?
I shared this recipe with Juggling Act Mama.