Need a lazy weekend recipe idea? Cook once and eat twice by making two different meals at the same time with this hands-free and scrumptious 2-In-1 Slow Cooker Recipe. Make a delicious Roast Beef Dip With Au Jus for dinner and a Beef Barley Soup for lunch the next day with this easy two meals in one slow cooker recipe.
As a busy, single mom of two hungry children who are not very fond of boring, old leftovers, I like easy and simple meals to prepare that don’t require much fuss and taste delicious too. I use my slow cooker at least 2 to 3 times a week and I am always looking for ways to prepare a few extra meals in advance for days I am just too busy (or lazy) to cook.
I especially like preparing this recipe around the holidays because it frees up more time to spend with my family and well, nothing beats a hearty beef sandwich and a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day.
In the morning, I toss a beef roast into my slow cooker on low for an easy dinner of beef dip with au jus.
Slow Cooker Recipe – Roast Beef Dip With Au Jus
When the roast is done and before we sit down to eat, I toss a couple of cups of chopped veggies and a handful of pearl barley into the au jus. After dinner, I add the leftover roast back into the slow cooker to make a delicious and hearty beef barley soup for the next day.
Slow Cooker Recipe – Beef Barley Soup
- 4 lb beef roast
- 2 tbsp oil
- Garlic powder
- 4 -6 cloves garlic
- 8 cups water
- 8 tsp beef bouillon powder
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- Leftover roast beef
- 5 cups leftover au jus from beef dip
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add the roast to the pan, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and sear on all sides to seal the juices inside and to bring out the flavor of the meat.
- Make 4 to 6 small slits in the roast and insert a fresh garlic clove into each.
- Add the roast, water and beef bullion to the slow cooker.
- Cook the roast on low for 7 to 9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the pan, let rest for 15 minutes and slice the beef thinly.
- Pile the roast beef onto your favorite buns.
- Skim off the fat off the beef broth if necessary.
- Dish out individual servings of au jus for dipping, about 1/2 cup per person.
- Add the chopped veggies and pearl barley to the leftover au jus (you will need 5 cups) before you sit down to eat.
- You may need to add a little more water if you use up a lot of the au jus for dipping. Add 1 tsp of beef bouillon for every cup of water you add.
- After dinner, cut up the leftover roast into bite sized pieces and add back into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, until the veggies are tender and the barley is cooked.
- Allow to cool completely before placing in the refrigerator.
Save And Print This Easy Slow Cooker Recipe For A Busy Night Or Lazy Day
I like to serve our beef dip sandwiches with a side of au jus for dipping and a green or fruit salad. On nights we need a more filling meal, I like to make oven roasted potato wedges too.
I serve the beef barley soup with a green salad and a slice of buttered bread or a fresh roll.
Did you enjoy this slow cooker recipe idea? What do you prefer? The soup or sandwich? Or both?
Top Slow Cookers For Busy Families
Hamilton Beach 33969A Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-QuartCrock-Pot SCR300SS 3-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker, Stainless SteelCuisinart MSC-600 3-In-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker: Slow Cooker, Brown/Saute, Steamer
I shared this post with Six Sisters’ Stuff.