Oh my goodness! These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes I made for Valentine’s weekend tasted amazing! I didn’t use a recipe to make these yummy cupcakes, but rather I used a couple of different recipes and combined them together to come up with these luscious chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes.
I made a couple dozen chocolate cupcakes from a boxed cake mix and frosted them with a creamy and delicious homemade strawberry buttercream frosting and then topped them with a chocolate covered strawberry. Everyone thought these chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes were super yummy and finger licking good.
Strawberries were on sale during the week leading up to Valentine’s Day and I bought about six pounds worth. I made a double batch of homemade strawberry sauce, some of which I used in the frosting, and 2 dozen chocolate dipped strawberries for the tops of the cupcakes.
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Bake 2 dozen chocolate or vanilla cupcakes from a boxed cake mix or your favorite cupcake recipe.
- Make a batch of strawberry buttercream frosting. You can use either homemade strawberry sauce or strawberry jam in this recipe.
- Poke a 1 inch hole in the tops of each cupcake. Spoon 1 tablespoon of strawberry sauce or jam into the center.
- Frost the cupcakes with strawberry frosting.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered strawberry.
- Store in the fridge. They are best eaten within 24 hours.
To make the chocolate dipped strawberries, I melted 1 cup of chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave at 30 second intervals, being careful not to allow the chocolate to get too hot because it won’t stick to the strawberries very well.
Before I started, I washed the strawberries and patted them dry with paper towel. Chocolate and water don’t mix, so make sure the strawberries are nice and dry.
Store the chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge to harden and keep cool until you are ready to use them. Add them to the tops of the frosted cupcakes just before serving for maximum freshness.
Keep the chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes in your fridge as well because the fresh strawberries in the frosting will spoil quickly if left out. They didn’t last very long in our fridge because they were eaten up too fast.
Thanks for stopping by and I hoped you enjoyed this recipe for Valentine’s Day cupcakes!