Whoopie pies are not just for kids! These Mocha Cake Mix Whoopie Pies With Kahlua Buttercream Icing hit the spot perfectly when the craving for a sweet and slightly naughty treat strikes. This recipe takes the whoopie pie to the next level and turns them into a rich and decadent coffee flavored dessert made especially for adults.
A friend gave me a recipe for cake mix cookies and immediately I knew I had to make whoopie pies with it. I don’t have a lot of time to spend on baking, but when I do, I like quick and easy! These decadent cake mix whoopie pies are super easy to make and are ready for the oven in just a few minutes. And best of all, they make a ton. A whopping 5 dozen!
Even though this recipe calls for liqueur, you can eat as many as you want because each cookie only contains minute amounts of alcohol. The entire batch of Kahlua buttercream frosting only calls for 3-4 tablespoons of liqueur which is just enough to give the icing a subtle Kahlua flavor that blends harmoniously with the rich coffee and chocolate flavors of the cookie.
Save And Print The Recipe For Mocha Cake Mix Whoopie Pies And Kahlua Buttercream Icing
- 2 chocolate cake mixes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- Place the cake mixes, eggs, oil and instant coffee into a large bowl.
- Combine with a large spoon until the mixture is combined. It will be the same consistency as a cookie dough.
- Roll the dough into marble sized balls.
- Place the balls a couple of inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Remove the whoopie pies from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- While the whoopie pies are baking, make the Kahula buttercream frosting.
- Place room temperature butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer or stand mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and Kahlua liqueur one tablespoon at a time to the bowl, continuing to beat, until all the ingredients are combined.
- After the whoopie pies are completely cool, place a tablespoon of Kahlua buttercream onto the bottom of one pie.
- Place a second whoopie pie on top, sandwiching the buttercream frosting like a sandwich.
These cake mix whoopie pies taste amazing served with a steaming hot cup of coffee flavored with a splash of Kahlua liqueur. Yummy!
Did you like this recipe for boozy,chocolaty mocha cake mix whoopie pies and Kahlua buttercream frosting?
Follow our Alcoholic Treats Board on Pinterest for more boozy treat and drink ideas!
Follow Glitter ‘N’ Spice’s board Alcoholic Drinks & Boozy Desserts on Pinterest.